Cape Soya, the Northernmost Point of Japan!

Cape Soya, the northernmost point of Japan
(中文版本:宗谷岬,日本最北點!)

On May 15, 2016, after arriving at Wakkanai Station, Hokkaido, Japan, I bought one round-trip bus ticket and took the bus to Cape Soya, the Northernmost Point of Japan.

The round-trip bus ticket to Cape Soya at JPY 2,500, and the bus schedule.
The scenes on the way to Cape Soya from JR Wakkanai Station were typically northern--barren but beautiful.

On the way to Cape Soya from JR Wakkanai Station
After 50 minutes from starting at JR Wakkanai Station, the bus eventually arrived at my destination, Cape Soya. The weather was cloudy and comfortable, and the temperature was at 13 degrees Celsius (55.4 F).

The monument of the northernmost point of Japan
I felt so touched after reaching the northernmost point of Japan. The reason was probably because either the long journey consumed lots of my energy, or the nouns which was usually read in geography textbooks, like Cape Soya and Sea of Okhotsk, became the scenes just in front of you.

I heard that people could see Sakhalin Island from here on a sunny day. Unfortunately, it was cloudy.

Peaceful and beautilful Sea of Okhotsk
Frankly speaking, the northernmost point was a desolate place. But it was still a precious experience for someone who didn't have opportunity in life to experience in what a desolate place is. Therefore, I wasn't the only one who wanted to visited this place, Cape Soya.

The monument with the date at Cape Soya
There were not too many things at Cape Soya. There was a stone which could sing a song, Cape Soya, when someone approached it

The stone could sing a song when someone got closed.
Next to the stone was the statue of Rinzo Mamiya. Who was he?
The statue of Mayima Rinzo(間宮林藏)
Mamiya Rinzo(間宮林藏) was the explorer during Edo Period in Japan. In 1808, he sailed across Sea of Okhotsk to land in Sakhalin Island. He discovered that Sakhalin was indeed an island and not connected to the Asian continent.

There were a small shrine, a B&B and restaurants at Cape Soya. 
The Shrine at Cape Soya
The northernmost restaurant of Japan

The shops at Cape Soya
And then I went to the blue house, Kashiwaya (柏屋) to buy some souvenirs. I bought one certificate of reaching the northernmost point of Japan with date and time as my souvenir!

Kashiwaya (柏屋)

The certificate of reaching the northernmost point of Japan

There were not only souvenirs but also a drift ice room for free at Kashiwaya(柏屋). But the temperature was under 0 degrees Celsius (32 F).

The drift ice room

Cape Soya in winters 
It took me roughly one hour to visit all spots at Cape Soya. I bought one can of amazake and then went back to JR Wakkanai Station by bus.
It was good to drink hot amazake at the temperature!
I was going to visit some attractions in Downtown Wakkanai and then go south to Asahikawa by Soya Express.

Personally speaking, I love this kind of attractions, the extreme points so much. If I have a chance next time, I'll challenge the easternmost point of Japan, Cape Nosappu. Additionally, I prefer to travel in Hokkaido, Japan in winters next time!


The Map

留言